Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A tornado hit my room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6yQARwk4w
This is my first self-made skit, with the help of my dad (who was thrilled to have his 15 seconds of fame). For months I have been trying to expose myself and my talents, but I had been afraid of moving anywhere beyond the back of the camera or the scene itself. After completing school, I was no longer forced to collaborate with anyone or obligated to create something for the sake of a grade. Therefore, I wasn't as driven or as rushed to express my artistry.

Over the summer, I was involved in a YouTube channel. But all we ever accomplished was a cool name, and great ideas. We filmed a few videos, but nothing was ever edited or uploaded.

Having been away from the channel, I had taken it upon myself to continue writing concepts for skits and keep a list of shot compositions that I could later use for filming. Unfortunately, I kept these things to myself by sealing them inside private places like my mind, an old-fashioned notebook, the Notes app, and a journal app on my iPhone.

This past weekend, I reminded myself how I would never get noticed if I kept the right things too myself (because I usually say the wrong things aloud, or say too much). I was going to have to put myself "out there." On a Saturday afternoon, I came back from a late-morning breakfast and thought how I was going to have the whole day to myself before I would have to get ready for my night out in town. To my surprise, my room was clean. It only came as a shocker because it was still clean despite my getting ready to go out with my family.

I'm usually not the lazy type (lies; sometimes I am), so I grabbed my notebook and wrote about how I never notice how easily my room becomes a pigsty when I get ready. Once I was done, I realized that I had wrote the story in form of a shot list. "I have enough time to film this today," I thought. "No excuses." Although difficult, it felt rewarding to be the director, camera operator, casting director, set designer, costume design, screenwriter, and editor. Ha! I'm ready for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment