Monday, November 14, 2016

Sweet Child (Not) O' Mine

It was a day in August of 2011 when I was angry with my nephew's forthcoming arrival. He wasn't a smudge that could be wiped away, no longer a problem my cousin could simply swallow, or a matter that could be flushed down the toilet. My cousin was already six months pregnant when she had found out she was going to be a mother and informed us that weekend. Months before, I had questioned her sudden weight gain, but she had insisted she wasn't pregnant. Her weight had been distributed throughout her body, so the bump wasn't obvious. But that day, my cousin appeared to be noticeably pregnant, like never before. It was as if she was implanted that same day and then BAM! without warning, everyone could see her bump. 

I remember looking at all three ultrasound images with loathing and despair. In those triangular images I wished Damian would disappear, that he would be unwanted by my cousin as much as I had, that he could be given to someone older...someone who actually was expecting him and couldn't wait for his arrival. But it was my cousin, a crazed, life-loving 18 year old who would become a mother in a few short moths. Her dreams of attending a university seemed to be all but reality. Now she would have to have a new set of demands; ones that would include a car seat, baby bottles, and changing beds in restrooms. 

Today, 5 years later, I am shocked to realize that those thoughts ran through my head. My cousin has been successful in all that she has attempted to achieve as a mother, student, and career woman. Her son has brought as much joy to my life as cupcakes have to his. Since the day he was born, Damian has continued to teach me about love, forgiveness, and patience. I love his big head, his bright smile, and the many days we get to bond with each other. At 5 years old, Damian is witty and charming. And although he has reached that age of brattishness, Damian's intelligence, mindfulness, and playfulness are what make him a memorable child. 

Happy 5th birthday, chele!

No comments:

Post a Comment